Thursday, August 13, 2009

Why Do I Go Hiking?

Now that the bumps and bruises from last weekend's hikes are just about faded and healed, I've been finalizing plans for this coming weekend's adventures on the trail. I got to thinking the other day as I inspected my bruised knee to see how it was healing, why do I do this? Obviously this month I'm hiking for the Washington Trails Association to help them fund the fantastic and much needed work they do. But beyond that, why do I go hiking?

Beyond being ingrained in me at a very young age by my parents as a fun, healthy and relatively cheap form of entertainment, I've come to realize that for me an enjoyable hiking trip isn't solely about the hike at all. I believe the old saying goes "It's not the destination but the journey" and in a very literal sense part of what I love most about hiking is the journey to the trail head.

I love the fact that hiking takes you to places you might not otherwise visit, both on the trail and on the way to it. No matter the weather I can find joy in a mountain drive, passing through small towns some fallen on hard times others thriving. Some of the best food I've had has been found in restaurants and greasy spoons in these small towns (59er Diner on Hwy 2 is a fantastic example!) on my to or from a hike. Another example of this is my side trip to Forks last Saturday after my hike. Forks was not on my list of places to visit, but it was nearby and as I have several friends who are fans of the 'Twilight' series, I thought I'd stop in and check the place out (and buy a few souvenirs for my 'Twilight' loving friends at the Dazzled by Twilight shop. I myself have not read the books nor seen the movie, so it was all a bit lost on me).

Sometimes what makes the trip to the trail head enjoyable can be as simple as a sign that makes you chuckle. For example on Saturday I passed Kitchen Dick Rd., Jimmy Comelattely Creek and a sign warning me there would be no more warning signs for the next 21 miles, which as it turned out was a total lie. While doing the Coast to Coast hike in England three years ago, the people I met along the way were just as interesting and fascinating as any scenery I saw and then of course there was the food, full afternoon teas awaiting me at my B&B each afternoon upon my arrival from the trail. These treats often kept me going on the longer days. Mmm! The memory of Doreen Whitehead's -former hostess of the Butt House in Keld-chocolate cake makes my mouth water. (photo: Silly sign on the Coast to Coast hike in England. Just how slow is dead slow?)

So why do I go hiking? Yes, I go for the trails, the challenge of the hike the views and the flora and fauna to be found along the way. But I also go along for the ride, for all the stuff you see and the people you meet on your way to or from the trail head. So plan some time into your next hike to stop in that small town you'll pass through or treat yourself to a slice of cake at the wayside restaurant, you never know, it could end up being just as good as the hiking itself!

1 comment: